Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Retreat





We had such a great time at the quilting retreat. I only pulled out scrapbooking once and it was a magazine. The only reason I pulled it out was that I was DONE WITH MY QUILT TOP. Yes, you read correctly. I did it. I started at 9 Saturday morning and finished at 10:25 that night. With a trip to the quilt shop and eating way to much food in between. I saw what Natalie and I are going to be like in 10 years (Micki and Cindy) and a little older than that (Rose and Phylis) everyone that knows us, you might be a little afraid right now. These wonderful ladies kept us in stitches all weekend. We heard about toothless weddings and bible studies that would crack you up. I can't do these stories justice you will just have to take our word for it.

The food was fantastic. We had pork chops for lunch and lasagna for dinner. We weren't the youngest ones there as Kelsey is in her 20's but we were called the young girls. Kelsey and Mary helped me get the flow of my quilt colors going. Mary said Kelsey is a fanatic about it. Kelsey if you read this don't look too closely at the finished product as I think I turned a couple squares around.

Our bed room took a little getting used to. We had to shuffle mattresses around to find comfortable ones. We were at a church camp and stayed in the boys dorm. We were the only two in our room. When you stay up till 1 both nights you can sleep though. I did sleep in a hole the first night, the mattress was deformed. I also had a problem falling a sleep because my mind started thinking about horror films. Saturday night was much better. It might have been the glass of pineapple Rum and orange juice or because I was way tired. I'll have to analyze that for a while. The showers were powerful and hot. If your the first one you have to wait 15 minutes to get hot water but it was worth it.

We played two games of fat quarter shuffle. (Left, Right, Center is another name for it.) The first game I rolled 3 centers in one row. The dice were rigged on that game because it went fast. The Center was like the house in Las Vegas. It was greedy. I was rolling on the second game. I thought my next quilt was going to be purple since at one time I had six fat quarters in front of me. At last, I don't have the Peters luck when it comes to gambling and I came home defeated. Nope, I purchased some fabric for my next quilt while I was there. But since I came back I have started some UFOs that I had in my sewing tub along with the fabric for my quilt top. Jamison might get his crib quilt yet.

Natalie came to the quilting retreat and discovered that she didn't pack her sewing machine. As this isn't the first time that someone forgot that tool the quilt shop had an extra she could use. I won't mention what her mom, Lana, forgot but I will say that if this was her honeymoon her husband would be thanking God for his luck.

Campbell said he would take the quilt when we get it finished. Brian said him and a friend were going to make one too. With Duct tape (what man wouldn't use this?) and old underwear. Thank God that they didn't get to that. Brian was only home for about 10 minutes when I came home as his friend celebrated his birthday on Saturday and Brian couldn't go out so he had to go out Sunday when I came home. Poor boy.

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a wonderful blog Heidi...and the quilt top looks fabulous. I'm so happy you got away from the house and did something for yourself!