Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Progressive Dinner

As you know our neighborhood has been trying to plan a progressive dinner for a while. We were supposed to have it in December and the planning didn't get far off the ground. Well, we had it on Friday January 30 and I think it was very successful. I know I was sad to see it end but was also thinking it is almost midnight I have to get my boys to bed or we won't be able to stand them on Saturday. So I didn't go to the final house for after dinner drinks (the next day by stomach thanked me too.)
Our first house was for drinks. Here we also dropped off the children for their party. Fifteen children between the ages of 14 and 2. The beer selection was outstanding Rex made Black and Tans like a professional bartender. I stuck with a margarita because I know how many of those I can drink without getting a headache. (I did however exceed my limit that night.) After drinks we headed over to the Appetizer house. Here I tasted Brie for the first time (not bad). We also had some chicken Cordon Bleu balls that Brian raves about still, and sushi. I didn't quite get up the courage to try this. At the soup and side house we had Lobster Bisque (Yes mom I tried this) Mashed or twice baked sweet potatoes and French onion soup. They were all very good and the conversations were flowing. At every house the dynamics of the group changed. At the main dish house we had Baked Talapia with a Parmesan crust and green beans. I will admit I asked for a half a piece of fish. I ate three bites of my fish. Luckily I was sitting by Kent at this house. I commented that I don't really eat fish and he said he didn't eat green beans. I told him if he ate my fish I would eat his green beans. So we discreetly made the switch and cleaned our plates. Then Brian comes in. . . "Heidi, you have fish on your plate, I know you didn't eat it what did you do with it put it under the table?" I tried to quietly explain but the secret was out. More people heard. Brian was in talking to the baby's sitters before he came in to blab. J is under a year so his parents had friends come over to watch him instead of sending him over to the crazy house. Brian talking to strangers is a great source of amusement to Tami who said it took him six months before he would say "Hi" to her. Which is probably true.

So now it is on to our house for dessert. I asked the ladies to say something about how the desktop computer just doesn't look right on the center kitchen island. They did but then they spent their time on the computer. Didn't help my cause. We had Brownies with chocolate frosting, Lemon bars and 6 kinds of cheesecake. I made the brownies and lemon bars and purchased a variety pack of cheesecake at Hy-Vee. One person said they were all very good because they tried them all. While at our house the guys took a tour. When they came up from down stairs they announced that we were having the Superbowl at our house. Worked for me! By now it is 11:30 and I am thinking if the boys aren't sleeping then they will be bears tomorrow. I head over to pick them up. Most of the rest were at the after dinner drink house okay we have lost 3 others beside me. At the after dinner house they are starting a bon fire with the 2 left over Christmas trees from our neighborhood. Let me tell you one went up like a torch the other when I saw it on Saturday looked like it had just came out of the house. Even after they poured gasoline on it. Amazing! Brian came home at one and we heard that some die hards were up until 3. Bless them I can't do that anymore and handle the children in the morning.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Impressive write up Heidi!! Quite lengthy and detaily...I love it! This sounds like a fun thing to do ceptin I'm not really sure I would wanna do it with some of my neighbors..YIKES!